Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I'm dreaming of a retro Christmas....





Christmas has always been my favorite holiday for as long as I can remember. The most memorable Christmas from when I was younger was when I was about 5 or 6 years old I guess and our tree fell over. I think it also involved my dad getting a big gash on his head which was always common. (I come from a long line of clumsy people.) I remember getting a doll on roller skates that actually would skate! I loved her. I think I got my first Easy Bake oven that year too. LOVE!

I remember our Christmas tree having handmade ornaments on it which is something I started doing with my kids 3 years ago. They love it and its a great way to get creative. And the tree just looks personalized that way. It adds a certain coziness to our house.

One thing that seems to have changed over the years though is kids wish lists. Gone are the days of play-doh, slinky's and building sets. In are the days of expensive electronics and super high tech toys that you seem to need a college education to understand. What's going on here?! So I've decided I'm done with that. This year is going to be a mix of old and new for my kids. That's right! I'm taking back Christmas! No video games or anything electronic will be given to them. I'm still letting them pick out items from the Big Toys R Us book and they will get a few of those items. But in addition to that they will be getting old school toys that require imagination and creativity. I've already bought them each an Etch-A-Sketch for Christmas. I will be buying more old school toys like that from my childhood days that I loved so dearly. Slinky's (Slinky, Slinky what a wonderful toy!) yo-yo's, legos, and of course some books. I'm hoping they will love these items and well, if they don't then I guess the man and I can have fun with these items and re-live our childhood all over again. Works for me. But either way, I'm dreaming of a retro Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment